Today I want to show you this delicious Basque dessert which I recently discovered and eventhough it doesn’t look that pretty, please trust me when I say that it is more than delicious!!!! If you like cinnamon and walnuts… this is your dessert, you will love it!… the flavours combine so nicely that I could’t stop licking the spoon ;D.
It is also one of the easiest recipes ever, so what are you still doing here? Check out your pantry for walnuts, cinnamon and sugar; add some milk and there you are: simple and so flavorful.
Do you have any kids at home preparing their school exams? Is your husband crazy about practicing sports? Are you stressed with job’s and home’s daily activity? If the answer to these questions is yes… you have the perfect solution in this Intxaursalsa because it will help you in many different ways:
- walnuts help regulate body temperature, they will protect vital organs like the heart and kidneys, and they ease the transport of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) thus facilitating absorption.
- they provide energy to combat possible diseases or problems that may present the body.
- Being a food with an important contribution of vitamin B6, walnuts promote the formation of red blood cells, blood cells and hormones involved in the synthesis of carbohydrates, proteins and fats, and assists in the maintenance of the nervous and immune perfect condition, participating indirectly in the production of antibodies.
- The antioxidant properties of vitamin E protect not only the immune system, nervous system, with the maintenance of neuronal mebrana and cardiovascular system while avoiding the destruction of red blood cells and clot formation.
- The presence of phosphorus (in the form of phospholipids) in cell membranes of the brain is critical, facilitating the communication between the cells, thereby improving mental performance and memory.
- Walnuts are very beneficial to the body in cases of iron deficiency, whether as a result of poor dietary habits during menstruation or pregnancy, or after accidents or health care operations where blood has been lost.
- and more and more…
This recipe has more than 150 years and it was really popular at the Basque Farm houses (caseríos) during the Christmas holidays. It nearly dissapeared from the restaurants but back in the Eighties, the Basque Chefs brought it back to the front again and here it is… delicious and nutritive for you all!
You can have it warm or cold; with some grated cheese on top or white chocolate… choose your favorite ingredient and combine ;D. I chose white chocolate this time.
Ingredients for 6 to 8 servings: 1/2 kilo of peeled walnuts, 1/2 kilo of sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 1/2 liters of whole milk, 100 grs of white chocolate.
- Use a blender to get the walnuts into an homogenous flour. Or if you are patient enough use a mortar to smash them ;D.
- Take a big pot and pour and heat 1 liter of the milk. When boiling, add the walnuts, the sugar and the cinnamon stick.
- Let it boil at low temperature for 45 minutes. Keep on stirring to avoid the walnuts get stick to the bottom of the pot and keep on adding the rest of the milk from time to time until it's all incorporated.
- The resulting texture should be creamy and a bit thick. Take the cinnamon stick away.
- Pour some grated white chocolate on top.
- Have it warm or cold. Enjoy!!!!